11.19.2009

Great-Gramma's Never Fail Pie Crust

Yesterday, little one and me went over to Gramma's to make some pumpkin rolls & try out Great-Gramma's Pie Crust. I normally just buy the frozen or refrigerated pie crusts but this year I wanted to make my own and Gramma shared her mom's recipe with me.  So simple and fantastic that wanted to share.  Really - I expected this elaborate process, but in 5 mins the dough was made, couple mins of rolling and we were done!

"Never Fail Pie Crusts"
- Sift together 3 cups of flour, 1 tsp of salt and 1 cup of shortening.















Next:
- 1 well beaten egg, 5 tbsp of cold water, 1 tbsp of vinegar.
















We then divided the dough into 3rd's.  Rolled out the 2 pie crusts for some pumpkin pie.
















To take easily off the mat/table, we slid a spatula underneath it, folded it loosely in half and then picked it up into the pie plate.  Pinch up the excess dough, if any hanging over the edge just swipe that off.
















We had some left over dough and decided to make some sweet rolls.  Roll out the dough, spread butter, we added some homemade apple butter, and then sprinkle with cinnamon sugar.  Roll it up and then slice it into pieces.  Place in a buttered/cooking spray dish @350 bake until tops are golden. 15-20 mins.
















I love going over to Gramma's during November and December for pumpkin roll making and cookie baking.  And I'm glad that she shared this recipe so I can continue making it and pass down to our girls some day.

Do you have any traditions/memories with loved ones during the holiday season?



Thankful Tidbit 

#18 - To still have my Gramma around.  She just finished her 2nd bout of chemo & radiation (last month) in the past 3 years and as we get older, I'm more appreciative of the wonderful memories with her and each holiday we still get to spend with her.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hey your blog design is very nice, clean and fresh and with updated content, make people feel peace and I always like browsing your site.

- Murk