9.01.2010

DIY- Baby Mobile

Across the Blogosphere I've been seeing these paper pinwheels being used as wall decor. As a previous avid paper scrapper - I had tons of paper sitting in my basement. It took me two different times to attempt and do this. The first paper selection I had picked out was too thick and I was having difficulty getting a nice crease on my half folds.  So, my advice is to pick a thin paper that is light weight.  I didn't take pictures during but here are step by step directions. 
Directions: 
1. Pick out your paper and cut it in a square, I used these sizes: 4", 6", 8", 10" and 12". You will need two squares to complete the circle.
2. Start doing a fan fold, mine were between 1/2" and 1".  Bigger width for the larger squares.
3. Once you have a square completely fan folded, fold it in half and tape the sides together. After this step you should have a half a circle. I saw that some people used double stick tape, but personally I just used clear tape, and taped half and half on the folds I was connecting.
4. Tape both half circles together and ouila - you have your pinwheel.

Ways to hang: I've seen people push tacks/nails through the center and hang them on the wall that way. For my purpose I had the Hubs loop fishing line through them and we used white tacks and hammered them into the ceiling.
Total Cost = $0, as I had everything on hand.  I would say at most though using coupons you could do this project for under $15 if you had to buy everything. 

Below are the pictures of how they look over the crib. Excuse the bad color - it was gloomy when I took these pics.
How they look when standing in the middle of her room.

Close-up shot. 

Picture taken from the floor looking up at them all, this is what Baby Girl sees. 
I'm linking to these parties.


Photobucket

22 comments:

Bumblebee and Sophie said...

I L-O-V-E this! It is absolutely adorable. What a great impact with simple materials. Very nicely done!

Lori@Paisley Passions said...

What a great and gorgeous idea! LOVE it! Thanks for linking it up to Thrilling Thursday @ Paisley Passions :) Hope you will come back and join in next week.

Gwen @ Gwenny Penny said...

This is so cute! Love the colors. By the way, love your blog banner.

Unknown said...

Those are so cute! I love the way it looks. I bet Avalynn loves it!!

Jen J. said...

Visiting from Fingerprints on the Fridge - those are adorable! Your blog is so cute! Stop by & visit me sometime @ World of Dennifer. :)

Unknown said...

Cute! I have been thinking about doing something similar in my baby's room.

Amanda said...

I just wanted to stop by and let you know that I linked to this post today from the new Home & Garden channel at Craft Gossip. :) My hope is to share many of the fabulous projects I see everyday with the vast CG audience. I hope you will not only stop by and subscribe to CG, but will tell your friends about the new category! Hope you see some traffic from it!

Your feature will appear in the main Craft Gossip RSS feed, on the main home page and can be found directly here
http://homeandgarden.craftgossip.com/pinwheel-baby-mobile/

If you would like a "featured by" button, you can grab one here!
http://homeandgarden.craftgossip.com/grab-a-craft-gossip-button/

Kimberlee, The Spunky Diva said...

Those are just perfect! I love mobiles that focus on the baby's view, not how the look from the door. Visiting from Pony Tails and Fish Scales.
~Kimberlee
www.TheSpunkyDiva.blogspot.com

Allison @ House of Hepworths said...

I featured you this week! You can see your feature by clicking on the link.


www.houseofhepworths.com/2010/09/08/hookin-up-with-hoh-16


Feel free to grab a button if you'd like!


~Allison @ House of Hepworths

Embellished Bayou said...

So cute, what a great idea!

Ami Allison said...

OH I LOVE THIS!!! My lil girl has some cute things hanging from her ceiling here and there. This would be a PERFECT addition!! I saw your feature on the HoH! :)

I'm your newest follower!

KristenDuke said...

LOVE this!

silly eagle books said...

This is really cute! Your baby will love it. :)

Crystal said...

Wow these are so pretty. I think I'm going to make some for my girls room.
P.S. thanks for linking up. I'll be featuring this tomorrow.
crystalscraftspot.blogspot.com

Michelle @ Delicate Construction said...

I loved this and featured it on my Friday Fave 5! You should come check it out! www.landofthemisfittoyz.blogspot.com

Katie said...

How fun are these, I bet they are so interesting to look at from the crib! What a fun and creative use for paper! Would love you to join me at A Crafty Soiree, every Thursday.

Amber said...

This is beautiful! I would have loved to have had this when I was little.

idesign said...

aww i love this...such a pretty sight for baby to see :)

baby gifts said...

Oh... What a lovely creation for baby to see. Thanks for the tute. I would love to try this out also. =)

Anonymous said...

Hi there

Thanks for sharing, I have digged this post

Anonymous said...

Hi, very interesting post, greetings from Greece!

Baby Lifestyles said...

We'd like to feature this at Baby Lifestyles. Email me @ editor at BabyLifestyles dot com to discuss!