7.31.2010

21 Dozen Ears of Corn + 7 hrs = 36 Bags Fresh Corn

Yesterday, Mom calls me to say she ordered the corn, for us to do today.  This year she decided to up it, 5 more dozen than last year for a grand total of 20.  To top it off they gave us a free dozen (which was enjoyed for dinner) 4 hours and 252 ears of corn later...

Shot of the corn: pre-husked.


Next up, we had two BIG soup pots at a rolling boil, a dozen in each pot cooking for 6 mins.  Put it on a tray, cut off the cob, repeat process. 
The ears all lined up on the counter ready for the pots.

Bagged up and ready for the freezer.
The end result = these lovely 36 bags of corn all ready for the freezer.  7 long hours went into these , my left fingers are hurting from the steaming burning hot cobs and I injured my right thumb nail in the process, but how worth it will be this winter when we're enjoying some yummy fresh corn.

Photobucket

10 comments:

Adrienne said...

That is a lot of corn! Was it a family activity? I'm sure the kids will remember it as being fun! Good memories! :) Stopping by from the Lady Bloggers Tea party!

Alison @ Stretch My Check said...

YUM-O as Rachael Ray would say! I LOVE fresh corn, and that would surely be a crowd pleaser at my house!

I am visiting from the Tea Party! Thanks for having me!

Grace said...

I remember doing this exact same thing with peaches and okra and squash (oh my God, tons of squash). But you're right. Those peaches over pound cake in the middle of winter made it all worth it!

Meaghan said...

WoW! that's all I can say!

Miss Welcome said...

Ooh yay - we're growing corn but we won't have a big enough harvest for that. In any case we wouldn't have the freezer space. But it's our first year with the garden so we'll get better, I guess.

Jaime said...

Wow! That IS a lot of corn! Impressive!!

Heather said...

Holy. Cow. I'm a city girl, born & raised in Los Angeles County. So this is a foreign concept to me LOL But I admire you! One day, I'll live in a small town :-)

Heather (visiting from LBS Tea Party!)

Unknown said...

Holy ears of corn!! There is nothing better than fresh corn... my mouth is watering just thinking about it!

mypixieblog said...

While I can't say I envy the amount of work that went into freezing all of that corn, your family will definitely be happy come winter time! This actually inspires me to do the same. I can't ever get enough of the stuff :)

Also stopping by from the Lady Bloggers Tea Party!

Deann said...

OMG I'm so jealous!!! I love fresh corn! Looks like a lot of work, but you are right...will be so worth it!